Monday, February 2, 2009

At what point...

I am sure that you all have been watching the story of the Octuplets on TV. Well they have made it to a week old and that is amazing!!! But to me, what is not amazing is how a doctor implants all of these embryos into a woman who already has 6 kids under the age of 7 with no husband. At what point does these doctors need to stop. Unless this woman has lots of money, I can't see where she can afford all of the little ones, or take care of all of these little ones. At some point a doctor has to say NO!!!

I think in-vitro is amazing. And I think women who have tried to have children and desperately want a child should be able to have them. I love being a mom, and every woman should get to experience the joy in having their own child, if that is what they want. But I don't think it is right that this doctor keeps implanting babies in a single woman that is obsessed with having babies. This makes me sad, and it makes people start questioning in-vitro.

So what do you all think about this story? Do you think it is right for this doctor to keep doing this procedure on a single woman, who now has 14 kids?

3 comments:

THE MORROW FAMILY said...

Honestly, I think it's absurd! I think it's crazy that a doctor would implant that many. I thought it was ridiculous when I just heard that she had octuplets...he had to have implanted way more than he should have. They say that you should implant 2 of 3 at a time. That's what most ethical doctors do atleast. I thought it was crazy already, but then I heard she had 6 other young children and she's not married...NEVER been married...she's just obsessed with having kids. I also read that she had had in vitro done with ALL of her other kids, too, and the same doctor has done ALL of them! Just can't really wrap my brain around it all. It makes me kinda sick to think about it. Poor babies!

one BleSSed gal! said...

The nicest way that I can comment is to say that I think Dr. Unethical should pay for all these kids instead of Uncle Sam taking my money (that I could otherwise buy my kids some new tennis shoes & jeans without holes in the knees) & giving it to some crazy lady who has some sick baby envy. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have another, but I have a brain & know that there is only so many that we can afford & only so many that I can spend QUALITY time with. I agree with Anna, poor babies!

hales said...

I agree that this should not have happened, but I don't think all the blame should be placed on the Dr.- obviously the woman wanted this done. She probably "shopped around" until she found someone that would do it. She knew the risks of in vitro fertilization included multiple births (Obviously, since she had it the first time), and SHE is responsible for the care of her children.